College of the Desert, Palm Desert
Adjunct Faculty – Computer Information Systems
I teach a hands-on computer engineering workshop and summer STEM program for middle and high school students.
- Air Quality Monitoring Station using SparkFun’s environmental sensor, carbon monoxide sensor and Adafruit’s PM2.5 particulate sensor.
- “Light Saber” using the Adafruit Circuit Playground Express and a length of Neopixels encased in a clear plastic tube.
- Autonomous Vehicle (JetBot) using the NVIDIA Jetson with machine vision and machine learning
Summer STEM Workshops:
Two week, 1/2 day workshops. Middle school students in the morning, high school students in the afternoon, same content for both. First week was instructions and hands-on exercises. Second week consisted of student projects and their presentations.
- Introduction to Arduino Uno and Arduino IDE
- Introduction to C Programming Language
- Using Motors and Servos
- Introduction to the Circuit Playground and MakeCode
- Using Sensors in MakeCode
- Laser Tag
- Using the Circuit Playground Express with the Arduino IDE
- Using NeoPixels
- Using the Accelerometer
- Music and Simon Game
- Representative Student Projects:
- Fusion Gem
- Tilt Trumpet
- Zombie Tag
- Quick Draw
- Hot Potato